The lesson focuses on the theme of redemption through the character of Jacob Marley.
The lesson includes:
- Do now activity: non-fiction article ‘Ghost stories: why the Victorians were so spookily good at them’ and questions.
- Explanation of purgatory with links to Jacob Marley.
- Breakdown of the AQA English Literature Paper 1 Section B
- Extract analysis task
- Instructions on how to write a thesis statement and model example
- Model analysis paragraph and sentence starters to help students analyse theme of redemption in the extract.
(Article not included. Link to article: https://www.theguardian.com/books/2013/dec/23/ghost-stories-victorians-spookily-good)
A Christmas Carol: Jacob Marley